The National Sea Grant Law Center


  • Mississippi Legislature Passes Senate Bill 2544 to Expand Private Oyster Leasing

  • June 29th, 2023 — Category: Seafood

  • In April 2023, the Mississippi Legislature passed legislation expanding private molluscan shellfish leasing in the state and designating certain public areas as state-owned reefs. The legislation, known as Senate Bill 2544, states that MDMR may designate no more than 20% of the area available for leasing as state-owned reefs. The legislation directs the agency to make the remaining 80% available for private leasing and sets forth requirements for the new private molluscan shellfish leases. To learn more about the legislation and recently proposed regulatory changes to implement the legislation, download our fact sheet.

    Download Fact Sheet

Stay Current with
Our Publications

Subscribe today to our free
quarterly publication, The SandBar
— and to our monthly newsletter,
the Ocean and Coastal Case Alert.